Is Morality independent of what God says? Or our morality depends on what God says? Heres my take on this.
- Morality is independent of what God says since morality is universal that does not belong to any religious institution. Religious institution with their God can’t impose nor set a standard moral norms to everyone.
- It’s independent because not everyone believes in God nor everyone follows same and one God. With this situation morality can’t rely on what God says as people has different God and different moral norms for each of this religious institution.
- Even theres no God for instance, human being has a universal acceptable norms of morality which it doesn’t follow God’s words or rely on Bible nor Quran to come up with acceptable morality to everyone to follow.
But does morality need religion as incentive for the moral life?
- Yes, it could be an incentive. Where in religion, morality is been already written on religious scriptures and writings. This writing is helpful guide who wants to pursue a moral life.
- Morality base on religion is sometimes been used as standard to have a moral life. But on the other hand you can always have a moral life even you don’t belong to any religion. What’s on the religion is i believe it’s proven effective to have a moral life since religion teaches more of being a morally correct human persons.
I have several friends who does believe in God but they don’t belong to any religious institution nor major religion in the world. For what they believe is, as long they do good things in this world, God will have mercy on them. What they see more important is they help people and don’t do bad against the humanity. Helping and serving the people is like a prayer to God.
If i depend and base my life’s morality on my religious institution for instance – Islam. I’m living an immoral life since sometimes i go drinking with friends. Drinking liquor or beer is forbidden because it distorts someones minds – getting drunk. So with my affiliations with Islam as should be my guide as a way of life, i should follow and give up drinking. Yes, someday and hopefully before Ramadan starts this year.
As much as i want to live a moral life, its hard since theres so many temptation in this crazy world.
Do you live in a moral life? does it depends on your Gods or not?